During this topic, the principles of Separation, Isolation, Encapsulation, Fail-Safe Defaults/Fail Secure, and Modularity would be implemented to help the network with layering defense security. This is important for the defense of the network.
Reference the following CYB-515 videos (located in the Class Resources) and handouts as needed to complete the lab:
- Operating System Administration and Patch Management
- Adding Windows 10 to the Network
- Installing Patches
- Creating Log On Policy
- Creating Group Policy
Provide screenshots to illustrate the installation of patches and updates of the server, the creation of the three security policies, configuration of the VPN, and the addition of the Windows 10 VM to the network. On each screenshot, include 1-2 sentences that summarize what the screenshot is illustrating.
In the virtual sandbox environment, you created in Topic 1 configure Microsoft Server to do the following:
- Reference “Installing Patches.” Install patches and updates for the server.
- In the Active Directory, create three security policies as described in the following bullet points.
- The Research and Development Department would have access to the network every day from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Human Resources Department policy for managers and users, using the least privilege, would allow managers to have access to all personnel information. Human Resources users would have access only to a specific department.
- The Sales Department’s access to the network would allow managers to have access to the network only during their shift (i.e., from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Users would only have access to their network Monday through Friday.
- Configure VPN access for IT Department Admin only.
- Add a Windows 10 VM to the network and a joint to the domain.
Write a 500-1000-word lab report that includes a title page, table of contents, overview, and the required screenshots with summaries.
- Provide a brief summary explanation of what you were accomplishing when you installed the operating system.
- Explain why it is important to install patches and updates as an operating system administrator.
- Explain the significance of configuring appropriate authentication policies as part of managing system services and user accounts.
- Explain the interaction between security and system usability and the importance of minimizing the effects of security mechanisms.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.