Context: As increased attention is given to the realities of structural racism and sexism in American culture, organizations are increasingly focused on diversifying talent, creating a mission of anti-racism and equity, and hiring a workforce that is trained to think about the value of diversity, inclusivity, and equity at work. In “Do your Employees Know Why You Believe in Racial Equity,” Ruchika Tulshyan asserts that “done right, creating diverse, equitable, inclusive organizations yield greater profitability, innovation, and smarter teams.” In other words, a commitment to inclusion and equity is critical to organizational success.
This post asks you to reflect on the value of diversity, inclusivity and equity at work and the ways in which you can be a more effective ally. Finally, you will consider resources on anti-descrimination policies so that you are better equipped to advocate for yourself and your colleagues in the workplace.
Initial Post: (Due date on syllabus)
- Watch the following two videos:
- Stovall, Janet. TED Talks (2018, September 13). “How to Get Serious about Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvdHqS3ryw0
- Epler, Melinda. TED Talks (2018, October 4). “3 Ways to Be a Better Ally in the Workplace.” https://www.ted.com/talks/melinda_epler_3_ways_to_be_a_better_ally_in_the_workplace?language=en
- Create an initial discussion post in which you answer the following questions, referring to both video sources in your post. All sources should be integrated following APA guidelines.
- What are the benefits of diverse and inclusive workplaces? Why, does Stovall suggest, is business a critical place to dismantle racism?
- What is the difference between inclusion and diversity? What do you think organizations, their leaders, and their employees can do to cultivate a culture of inclusion?
- How is equity different from inclusion and diversity? How can we approach work with a focus on equity?
- What does it mean to be an ally in the workplace; how can you be a better ally in your workplace or in your life more generally?
Response Post: (Due date on syllabus)
- Read the following articles:
- Women Employed. (2020). “Sexual Harassment and Your Rights on the Job.” https://womenemployed.org/sexual-harassment-and-your-rights-on-the-job/
- Women Employed. (2020). “Employment Rights Under Illinois Law.” https://womenemployed.org/employment-rights-under-illinois-law/
- Read your classmates’ initial discussion posts. Choose one post that resonates with you.
- Respond to your chosen post. In your response, answer the following questions and integrate at least one source, using APA format:
- What about this writer’s discussion of being an ally in the workplace resonates with you? What additional suggestions can you add for how someone can be an ally in the workplace?
- How can employees protect each other and themselves from discriminatory practices?